Nov 23, 2003
I keep finding more questions to ask of you, with the first VL being 102879 and the T4 helper being 1032, and no spleen will the virus spread more rapidly or destroy the immune system more rapidly? What are the expectations?
| Response from Dr. Pierone
A number of HIV-infected patients have had their spleens removed in order to treat ITP (idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura). They have not, to my knowledge, had a more rapid progression of disease and do respond to antiretroviral therapy.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can Hiv Be Transmitted Through Touching A Blood Contaminated Surface?
- Tonsils Removed In Adults With Hiv
- What Are The Chances Of Men Getting Hiv From A Woman With A Undetectable Viral Load?
- What Do Hiv-positive People Look Like?
- Do Pregnant Women Get Tested For Hiv?
- Can You Be A Carrier Of Hiv But Not Suffer From It?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.