Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

just turned positive! 19 yrs old kid

hi

I JUST TURNED POSITIVE ON OCT 24.I HAVE NOT DISCLOSED MY RESULTS TO ANY ONE!

iam afraid of what will happen if i tell my parents! iam gone nuts!!!!!!!! wat therapy should i start!

and the fear of dying has engulfed me!

will i die? young

thankyou

indian guy

Dear Indian guy:

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis and situation.

The prognosis for persons living with HIV is improving around the world-- not necessarily perfect for all, but improving education and access to care is reaching many parts of the globe, including India.

Assuming that you've been relatively recently infected, there is little immediate risk of having a AIDS complication-- this usually takes from between 5 and 8 years from time of first infection.

It is important to take care of one's self-- including good diet, avoidance of drugs/tobacco, continued (or resumed) safe sex and drugs and most importantly, finding an experienced HIV care provider, if at all possible.

Getting laboratory testing periodically allows you and your doctor to make educated decisions about your need to start on medications, and this should not be avoided, even if you're not currently crazy (or even willing) to start on meds.

Lastly, you won't die young if you get medical care-- this is not a promise of long- or happy-life, but a realistic statement about your options and the very low likelihood that anything bad will happen in the short term.

Good luck, thanks for reading. Let us know how things go from time to time. BY

HIV+ new case mostly shown CD4 sharp drop?
Reducing stress