pml question

Dear Dr Young, I have asked many question relating to my suspect pml diagnosis in the past couple of years and now that i am on haart my symptons have almost gone away. I have never quite believed that i had pml as i have done so well, but i have always beleived my hiv doc as shes fantastic at her job. My brother after years of being treated for depression and tremors, my brother has just been diagnosed with having parkinsons disease and is now on appropiate treatment and functions back to normal. What i wanted to ask is it possible that i have been wrongly diagnosed of having pml and perhaps i may have P D instead. Also how would i approach this situation with my hiv doc in 2 weeks time, apart from slight tremor in right arm, i feel great. Thanks for you advice and best wishes. Mark

Thanks for your question Mark- It's heartening to know that you've gotten better. Usually, the diagnosis of PML is made in at-risk patients with characteristic findings on MRI scan and/or brain biopsy. These features are not usually confused with PD.

That said, it is possible that "underneath" the PML is the genetic risk of having an unrelated neurological disorder, like PD (and as far as I know, having AIDS won't protect you from PD). As such, it would be worth asking your doctor if your residual tremor has any of the characteristics of PD--if so, a evaluation by a neurologist might be in order.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Laxative
More good news. Not! Help!