Great news from Thailand

Dear Dr. Young,

In one of your last answers to people afraid of starting treatment you asked people to post their positive experiences on starting treatment. Well here is one.

Today we received our test results and we are very very happy. My wife started treatment 3 months ago, combivir & sustiva and her numbers back then were VL 170.000 and CD4 202/10. Now 3 months after treatment VL 85 and CD4 390/14. Isn't that great !! All common side affects are gone accept she has some bouts of acne. (which she never had before).

For me 3 months ago VL 20.000 and CD4 352/21 and now 3 months later VL 21.000 and CD4 311/16. I guess I will have to think about starting treatment but I think my doc will advice me to wait until the next test in 3/4 months time. We will see our doc next week to go over the results.

Tonight we will have a big celebration over a romantic dinner.

Bless you all !!

All the best, Steve Married and living in Bangkok Thailand.

Dear Steve- Thank you for your posting and and supportive comments. First off, it certainly appears that your wife has had a great response to therapy, and that she's having little problems with side effects. This is the kind of response to treatment that we've grown accustomed to having.

As for your particular situation, I think that your CD4 percentage of 16 is what would push me to start therapy sooner, rather than later. No crisis, but given your wife's positive experience with treatment, I would assume (hopefully fairly) that you wouldn't be too reluctant to start. Reason being is that 16 percent is close enough to the threshold for AIDS, that I'd rather start now than run the risk of having a complication or AIDS-defining event.

So let us know what you decide and how things go for both your wife and you. It's great to hear that our site gets hits from Thailand.

Thanks for reading (and writing), BY

interaction
Acute Infection