Hooray For You, But Need Help!

Dr. Wohl, I think your wonderful! Your answers here are honest, but with tact and respect for those of us out here with HIV/AIDS. Sometimes we need both! I especially like your response to the don't be shady question! Our future is bright and it is you and all the other doctors here that do that for us!

I have 2 questions I really need answered though. Children who were born to HIV+ moms, that test negative, at the age of 2, I heard rumor now some children are converting at around the age of 10. Any truth? Don't know when I was infected. CD4 is above 1000 and VL, has alwys been undectable!!! My baby was tested at 2, when I found out I was... 2nd questions, I heard a statistics that if you sat in a room of people, that 1 in 22 people will have or will develop HIV in their lifetime. Is their any truth to this. Thanks again for everything, and for your hope that you provede all of us here!

A MOM...

Thanks. If a child tests HIV negative at age 2 they will remain that way unless they acquire the virus thereafter.

The risk of HIV infection varies considerably from population to population. There are 40 million people currently infected in a World of 6 billion people. Of the 300 million in the US, about 1 million are HIV infected people. Rates of new infections change so predicting how many people not currently infected will be in the future is difficult. DW

HIV-ITP and initiating treatment?
low grade lymphoma,17yr aids what to do?