Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hooray For You, But Need Help!
Nov 4, 2003

Dr. Wohl, I think your wonderful! Your answers here are honest, but with tact and respect for those of us out here with HIV/AIDS. Sometimes we need both! I especially like your response to the don't be shady question! Our future is bright and it is you and all the other doctors here that do that for us!

I have 2 questions I really need answered though. Children who were born to HIV+ moms, that test negative, at the age of 2, I heard rumor now some children are converting at around the age of 10. Any truth? Don't know when I was infected. CD4 is above 1000 and VL, has alwys been undectable!!! My baby was tested at 2, when I found out I was... 2nd questions, I heard a statistics that if you sat in a room of people, that 1 in 22 people will have or will develop HIV in their lifetime. Is their any truth to this. Thanks again for everything, and for your hope that you provede all of us here!

A MOM...

Response from Dr. Wohl

Thanks. If a child tests HIV negative at age 2 they will remain that way unless they acquire the virus thereafter.

The risk of HIV infection varies considerably from population to population. There are 40 million people currently infected in a World of 6 billion people. Of the 300 million in the US, about 1 million are HIV infected people. Rates of new infections change so predicting how many people not currently infected will be in the future is difficult. DW

Previous
HIV-ITP and initiating treatment?
Next
low grade lymphoma,17yr aids what to do?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.