new infection and low Tcells

I was infected in early July and tested positive in mid-september. At that time my T-cell count was 380 and viral load was 270,000. Now, four weeks later, my T-cell count is even lower, 294 and my viral load is still about 255,000. Is it typical in such an early stage of infection to have such bad counts? Should it rebound or am I an unlucky one? I started treatment yesterday. Thanks. MJB

It's hard to say what is typical with recent infection. There is such a variable response to HIV infection. Some people have sky high viral load that eventually comes down, others stay high. You have chosen to start treatment and I agree with your plan in view of the recent infection and ongoing high viral load. The critical element is 100% adherence to treatment. What regimen are you on? Keep us updated and good luck!

Lab Work in Baltimore
HIV-ITP and initiating treatment?