First labbs after starting treatment

Hi Dr. Young:

I just got my first labs after 5 weeks of starting meds. My tcells went from 257 to 482. (15.7 to 27.7). My vl went from 205,305 to less than 2000 (1923). I am on Kaltera, Viread and Emtriva. I never missed a single dose--(In fact, by mistake I took an extra dose of viread and Emtriva one day but not a big deal). I also had minor platic surgery and a root canal during that 5 week time period. Is that an average change after only 5 weeks?

Thanks Kevin. PS-- After a few months I may still swich off kaletra to Sustiva or Viremune due to chance of lipo with kaltra)

Kevin- good to hear from you. Your lab results are fantastic. They show a hugh drop in viral load and great increase in both CD4 percentage and absolute counts. In fact, your dental work might have caused your viral load to be elevated (at 5 weeks), potentially obscuring additional effects. So overall, I'd give your results an A grade.

Indeed (see today's posts), a recent presentation at the European AIDS Conference showed that the combo that you're taking appears to work very well-- this is the initial study to look at your combination (or for that matter, the combo of Viread and Emtriva).

Thanks for the update. BY

once or twice daily kaletra?
Lab Work in Baltimore