I am crying Dr Young

Does this HIV positive diagnosis really mean I will die if I don't use medications? Might I just be able to live on as if nothing ever happened, and let my body forget about it? Isn't there something I can do to reverse this diagnosis if I try really hard? I don't want to do treatments! They are a death sentence for my neighbors! I see them buying these meds and getting really disgusting looking as a result! Is there any information you can offer that suggests there are alternative methods of making HIV a non-issue? This has me in tears!

Thank you for your questions.

HIV usually causes immune system decline that leads to death in the vast majority of persons who don't have access to medications (or who have access, but don't go onto therapy).

Saddly, while you should be able to live life essentially as normal for years, your body won't forget about the virus. There is nothing you or medical science can do to reverse the diagnosis, despite all the attempts and claims to the contrary.

Look hard at the reasons that you don't want to do the treatments-- in 2003, HIV treatments can be simple and very well tolerated. While I don't have HIV, I take care of hundreds who do and tolerate medications-- I'd be surprised if you could find one of my patients who would rather die that to even try medicines.

Good luck, talk to others about your situation. It's not one to ignore. BY

ps- Perhaps some of our readers who are doing well on medications can post a few words of support for this reader.

forgot to add previous question
tell me about the one drugs that looks safe and potent