Restoring the sense of normality in hiv disease.

Dr. Young,

Without a doubt, people with hiv not on treatment the majority seem to over years get the whole hiv look and all the wonderful attributes until they die. Treatments have prolonged the life expectancy, but one major problem that still exists is that people with the disease still usually stand out either due to some deformation, lipoatrophy, or some other factor. Tell me the good news how treatment is improving and how researchers are at hard work to fix this in the next five years please.

Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra- thank you for your questions (including other posts).

You're correct in your summary of improvements in the expectations for patients; I'd point out that there are still many areas of "concern"- or at the very least, areas for need for much additional information. These include, but certainly are not limited to lipodystrophy (body fat changes). There is considerable attention at many levels (basic science, clinical science and drug development) that attempts to understand, avoid, or treat this complication.

Why only five years? Yes, researchers are working very diligently to understand this problem and like others, I doubt that we will be satisfied in our answers, even five more years from now.

Will we be in a better position to predict risk of development of lipo? Certainly. Will we be better able to avoid lipo? I think so too. BY

Zerit and Videx together?
Videx, 3TC, Viread Article