Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

You metion starting treatment when symptomatic. Can you clarify?

Dr. Young,

You mention that an individual should consider starting treatment if symptomatic. For example, if an individual has facial wasting without meds, should that individual go on meds regardless of cd4 count or viral load? What regime might be the least toxic and most friendly regime to prevent or reverse the wasting process? Should a certain steroid be added as a supplement to reverse the wasting and what is the general cost of this steroid?

Thanks

MW

I usually don't count lipoatrophy in the same category as "symptomatic", though I'm sure that this point will receive attention in studies and in think tanks.

Usually we refer to symptomatic to include things like involuntary weight loss, fevers, night sweats, recurrent pneumonia, persistent herpes, etc.

You've not mentioned how long you've had HIV, or your current (or lowest ever) CD4 count-- all of these play roles in lipoatrophy risk.

If I was primarily concerned about lipoatrophy, or other manifestations of body fat changes, I'd certainly be avoiding any stavudine-containing regimen and probably didanosine (Videx)-containg ones too. There is debate about the role that protease inhibitors play, but some would suggest that PIs also play a lesser role (compared with stavudine) in lipo.

As such, I'd prefer to use a regimen like Combivir (ZDV/3TC) or tenofovir(Viread) with either 3TC (Epivir) or FTC (Emtriva) in combination with a non-nuke (efavirenz or nevirapine). These regimens have the greatest amount of clinical trials data and/or are thought to have the least amount of injury to mitochondria (thought to be at the heart of lipoatrophy).

I would definitely NOT use a steroid to treat lipoatrophy, since all anabolic steroids tend to accelerate lipoatrophy (which is why body builders like to take them-- not only do they build muscles, but they cause fat thinning).

Hope this is helpful. BY

lipids going through the roof with pi combo?
t-1249