Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

hiv type 2 infection and meds

Dr. Young,

I need to start treatment and am wondering which hiv drugs work against hiv 2 infection? Which don't? Thanks. Your a great guiding light!

Mr. Outkast

Mr. Outkast-

HIV-2 seems to be getting a lot of questions on this forum. This is a tough subject for me, since I don't take care of anyone with HIV-2 infection. My understanding is that there are very few clinical studies on the effectiveness of HIV-1 drugs for HIV-2. In general, pre-clinical studies show that the nucleoside RT inhibitors and protease inhibitors have activity against HIV-2. Non-nukes, on the other hand, tend to not have activity. As such, if I was forced to start therapy in someone with HIV-2 (pure speculation), I would be looking at a nuke/PI regimen.

hope this helps, BY

TheraVax Premiere
When to start