fuzeon side effects?

Dr. Young,

Fuzeon as the first entry inhibitor seems to have a nice list of side effects associated with it. I am wondering do you feel this drug as an entry inhibitor is superior to other anti-virals as protease inhibitors, nnrts, etc. and why?

Are future entry inhibitors around the corner that would bring the price down of this product and side effects along with it, if so which ones should we keep and eye on?

Thanks,

Mandy

I don't think that enfuvirtide (Fuzeon, T-20) replaces our conventional HIV medications for first, or even second-line therapy. This is because of the cost and difficulty in administering the medication. Side effects are actually not too bad, though most people experience some injection site irritation.

So, is it superior to PIs, NNRTIs or NRTIs? If you need this class of medication to construct a potent regimen, then yes, it is superior to drugs to which HIV has become resistant; but otherwise, I would not(and haven't) written any scripts for early therapy.

There are other entry inhibitors in the pipeline-- so-called CCR5 inhibitors. These drugs are still in very early developement and deserve attention, but not blind over enthusiasm. Molecules like SCH-D and others should continue in studies, are orally dosed, and might (but not for sure) work in concert with other entry step inhibitors, such as enfuvirtide. BY

Long term
Starting during ARS-part 2