Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

how long to go?

Doctor Gerald,

You and all other healthcare providers are truly a blessing. But my question is...I was diagnosed with hiv and my last white cell count was 6.0 about 6 months ago before i knew i had hiv . How long do i have to live and will it likely be a while before i have to start therapy?

The decision to start therapy really depends on CD4 count and viral load. A total WBC of 6.0 is normal and this is a good sign. I believe that the prognosis for HIV infected persons is excellent if they have access to antiretroviral medications and the ability to take them regularly. Your lifespan should be normal or near-normal if you have access to medications. There is usually some time before HIV medications need to be started unless treatment is begun for acute infection. Do you have viral load or CD4 count numbers yet?

2003 Prognosis
Long term