worried........ needlessly??

I know it would be a great thing for humanity if a vaccine were developed to prevent HIV infection (and based on all the research being done, Bill Gates' money, the recent smallpox vaccine news, that may not be far away) but it's hard as an HIV+ person not to feel worried that we'll be left in the dust should a significant discovery be made. I'm sorry if it sounds selfish (I don't wish this on anyone else) but realistically how much money went into discovering a cure for Polio after Salk discovered the vaccine to prevent it. I'm betting not much. I'm a firm believer in the profit motive, it's created life saving drugs for people like me, but doesn't a preventative vaccine remove the incentive for future research for a cure?

A preventive vaccine would be great, but even if it worked completely would take forever to gain widespread worldwide use. Work for a cure will go on despite development of a preventive vaccine. There is enough of a profit motive just based on the millions already infected in developed parts of the world that fund this research. There is also the quest for fame and desire to help mankind regardless of payment that drives many researchers as well.

Alternative tx for wasting
SCH-D