Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Make only 12,000 a year, how can i afford meds?
Oct 19, 2003

Dr. Young,

Hi I have a real problem. I make only 12,000 a year and there is no way i will be able to pull off the full cost of medicines? I need treatment, where do i go for assistance? Please im desperate. Have no insurance. Cd 4 200 viral load 150,000

Response from Dr. Young

Assuming that you live in the US and are fortunate enough to live in a state with good funding for their AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), you should have little difficulty in obtaining medications for treating HIV.

There are a number of governmental and non-governmental programs for medication assistance. I would advise you to contact your doctor or local AIDS service organization for assistance in navigating this pathway.

If you have a very limited income, another mechanism for getting medications are the number of drug assistance programs that are available directly from the pharmaceutical companies.

Also, consider enrollement in a clinical study (actually, this is my first choice in getting medications)-- this is often a way to get free medications, free laboratory testing and HIV-related health care. Studies are not for everbody, but for those who fit the entry criteria and are willing, this is a way to get considerable 1- or 2- year financial support and help your fellow HIV-infected person as well.

Lastly, with your CD4 count of 200 and viral load over 100,000, I would not delay too long in getting started on medications. Find an experienced HIV doctor (or care provider), evaluate your medication options and hopefully get started. With appropriate med selection and monitoring, meds should be very well tolerated and very effective.

Good luck, thanks for reading. BY

Previous
generics or just brand names.
Next
Paying for meds

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.