Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Traveling abroad
Oct 19, 2003

I will be going to London for the first time next july. I am currently on Videx 250 mg, viread and Sustiva (I take all meds before night time.)

I am extremely worried and confused about how I can carry my meds and how to deal with the time change. Is there any easy way to deal with this?

Thanks.

God bless.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

Since all of the medications that you're taking stay around in your body for a long time, the timing of things is less critical (at least for the purposes of travel).

What I typically do on travelling to Europe is to set my watch to the destination as soon as I get on the plane-- if it's time to eat dinner, eat dinner. If it's time to take your meds, go ahead and take them. This should be easy for the ddI and tenofovir. The tricky part is the efavirenz. If you're someone who does not have any issues with side effects, then I'd go ahead and take it with the other two. Take a look at your typical evening schedule, and compare the length of time that you usually sleep-- if the length of the flight is about the same as your sleeping schedule, then you shouldn't have problems taking the pill "earlier" than usual (for example a trip from San Francicsco to London).

On the other hand, if you have pretty bad morning side effects from efavirenz, or you have a short trip, then I advise (yikes) to skip the dose of efavirenz and resume with all of your other meds on the next dose.

How about coming home? Same deal. Switch your clock to your destination when you get on the flight (typically in the late morning in Europe) and just take the meds in the North American evening.

Hope this helps.

Safe and healthy travels. BY

Previous
Decent question here Doctors!!!!
Next
Life expectancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.