early treatment?

Dr Young, you have talked about early therapy in the acute phase. Is there a specific time frame when to start therapy or when it is too late. I have not yet seroconverted as of my last test last week and was wondering if it would be beneficial for me to start now especially since I have been having symptoms for the past 2 months. Also, when therapy is recommended, do you have a preferred starting regimen...or do we still have to do a resistance test in this case. Continue your good work! thank you New Yorker

I would not start antiretroviral therapy unless you had confirmation of infection (usually by RNA PCR or by p24 antigen tests).

If confirmed, it is ok to start prior to getting resistance testing completed, but I believe strongly that this is important to obtain, and therapy should be modified if resistance is detected.

As for which regimens, I'd direct your attention to the DHHS treatment guidelines for a more detailed discussion. http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/default_db2.asp?id=50

Good luck. BY

face wasting without hiv meds.
Lab results--genotype and cholseterol