When to start treatment

Hi, have been diagnosed with HIV March 2003, infection most probably in December 2002. My Tcells are 4500, viral load 850. My local clinic tells me its not necessary to start treatment yet, as these counts indicate still good health. Would you agree not to start treatment as yet and from which figures onwards would you recommend treatment. Thanks a lot for your advice.

I am thinking that the "4500" is a typo but assuming your CD4 cell count is greater than 500, I agree with your clinic. Your immune system is strong and your viral load low. The chances of you developing a significant drop in your CD4 cell count any time in the next few years is very low. These are great numbers. I'd have them rechecked every 4 to 6 months to look for any trends and to keep in the loop withyour clinic in case new data emerges about the optimal timing of HIV treatment initiation. Good luck - DW

dr. wohl, where are you???
Is there hope?