New drug Tipranavir

Hi.. I wrote a month a go, My T-cell where at 68...My viral was 300,000....On september 22, I am taking a new drug call Tipranavir for 2 week now,My t-cell are now 140 and viral load is now 60,000,What do you thing about this drug I am doing good at this time or sould I had one more drug Will Atazanavir will work for me, thank you so much

Tipranavir is a new protease inhibitor that is taken with ritonavir and has activity against some types of HIV that is resistant to other protease inhibitors. It is a good drug that is pretty well tolerated and it seems like you have had a good response to it. In the US the drug is available through an expanded access program.

In patients with a lot of protease inhibitor exposure there may be an accumulation of resistance mutations that would render tipranavir much less potent. A past genotype resistance tests obatined while on a protease inhibitor should be able to indicate whether the virus has these particular mutations.

If multiple protease mutations are present on a genotype, it is also less likely that atazanavir boosted with ritonavir would work very well. DW

Basically,

2003 Prognosis
dr. wohl, where are you???