Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

beating a dead horse
Oct 15, 2003

Sorry, but just one more question about life expectancy. Most of the doc's on this site say a person infected recently, who is 100 percent adherent, can live decades. Is this true with just the current drugs available now, or does that "assume" continued drug developement and breakthroughs. How long can someone expect to live on the drugs that are currently on the market today?

Also, I have never seen a question answered about how long a person could expect a single combo to continue to work assuming someone gets there viral load under control <50 copies. Is there any data available regarding this. I've asked my HIV+ friends and the difference of opinion on this is amazing. Some say months, some say years, some say decades. Help. I know there are no guarantees but any stats would be comforting.

Response from Dr. Young

yes, dead pony, we answer this type of question frequently.

I think that people rightly try to read much more precision into our answer about life expectancy than can accurately be done. There are many different ways to answer, and many different assumptions that go into the statement. Either way, we all generally believe that the life expectancy is terrific, and that future drug discovery will likely improve things more.

Current drug regimens can be taken with success for many years-- I have patients on their first drug regimen since 1995; yes treatments can and do fail-- in some cities on average (this is the key) ~18 months, and adherence is the major determinate in this; newer regimens are easier to adhere to and cause fewer side effects. I do think that with appropriate adherence, education and monitoring that "first" regimens can work for a very long time.

Thanks for reading. BY

Previous
ANY CURE IN TEN YEARS
Next
Entitlement eligibilities

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.