Prognosis for Those With Drug Reisistant Virus

Hi Dr. Young:

I just read your response suggesting that the prognosis is different for those who acquire a drug resistant virus. I have some questions about that.

What kind of life expectency is predicted for those who acquire a drug resistant virus? Is it too soon to tell? Does this take into account newer drugs for which patients will hopefully not be resistant? Also, can newly infected patients be resistant to all or most meds? Any idea how often this occurs?

Thanks kevin.

Kevin- thanks for your post.

There is no good data about the long-term survival for those persons who are infected initially with drug resistant virus. Like you've suggested, it's too soon to tell-- I do expect that newer drugs will have an impact on this, but imagine the situation of one of my recently diagnosed patients, with resistance to all nucleosides and all non-nucleoside drugs-- the only drugs that are available to this person are protease inhibitors.

So, yes multidrug resistance can be passed on-- it looks like evidence of two drug class resistance is detected in about 1% of US infections; not common but the implications are huge. BY

TMC 114?
Non stop nausea