Scared with pre-existing psoriasis and recently hiv infection

I have been feeling very worried and upset since reading an article which suggests that people with hiv normally die within a year or so of psoriasis outbreaks. I have had psoriasis for about 8 years and contracted hiv 2 months ago (diagnosed 3 weeks ago). I have been trying to find out as much as possible about the condition and came across the article last week ( http://www.amfar.org/cgi-bin/iowa/td/feature/record.html?record=88). I would really appreciate if you could clarify the situation. Thankyou- the site is a real help.

I read the psoriasis article that you refer to and it is a great review of the condition.

I think that you misread the part about people with HIV and psoriasis dying within a year of psoriasis outbreaks. The quote from this article was "research published in the 1980s about HIV and psoriasis indicated that patients were dying within a year or so of their psoriasis outbreaks".

In the 1980's there was not effective treatment for HIV infection and psoriasis was more common and often developed in persons with low CD4 cells. This is probably why the 1980's studies showed poor prognosis. This is not the case now. Our patients with HIV and psoriasis do well on treatment, no different from those that don't have psoriasis. Hope this helps. GP

kaposis sarcoma
Legs don't work properly