Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Scared with pre-existing psoriasis and recently hiv infection
Oct 10, 2003

I have been feeling very worried and upset since reading an article which suggests that people with hiv normally die within a year or so of psoriasis outbreaks. I have had psoriasis for about 8 years and contracted hiv 2 months ago (diagnosed 3 weeks ago). I have been trying to find out as much as possible about the condition and came across the article last week ( http://www.amfar.org/cgi-bin/iowa/td/feature/record.html?record=88). I would really appreciate if you could clarify the situation. Thankyou- the site is a real help.

Response from Dr. Pierone

I read the psoriasis article that you refer to and it is a great review of the condition.

I think that you misread the part about people with HIV and psoriasis dying within a year of psoriasis outbreaks. The quote from this article was "research published in the 1980s about HIV and psoriasis indicated that patients were dying within a year or so of their psoriasis outbreaks".

In the 1980's there was not effective treatment for HIV infection and psoriasis was more common and often developed in persons with low CD4 cells. This is probably why the 1980's studies showed poor prognosis. This is not the case now. Our patients with HIV and psoriasis do well on treatment, no different from those that don't have psoriasis. Hope this helps. GP

Previous
kaposis sarcoma
Next
Legs don't work properly

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.