Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why so many pills?
Oct 7, 2003

Hi Docs, Right to the point: I was diagnosed July 03; August 03 CD4 was 84 and VL 553,000. I just started meds a couple days ago. I'm on a regimin that involves 13 pills a day (Combivir/Ritonavir/Invirase). I HATE PILLS. So much so that I seriously don't know which is worse, taking all the pills or not taking them and dying a slow painful death. Question to you: Is there a reason why my doc would put me on such a high pill count regimin, instead of one with much fewer pills per day? THANKS in advance.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

Firstly, anyone having difficulty with the side effects or hassle-factor of their drug regimen should discuss this with their doctor early in the game.

I'm not particularly good at reading the minds of other doctors (we are a tricky breed sometimes); my guess is that with your high initial viral load, that she/he wanted to use a dual- or boosted protease regimen because of the belief that such regimens may offer improved potency.

Ritonavir/Invirase if dosed at 400 mg each is a dual PI regimen (and should give you a pretty high pill burden). This is probably the best studied dual PI regimen (where both drugs contribute to antiviral effect), though there is little data that compares this to a strong boosted PI regimen like lopinavir/ritonavir (Kaltetra).

The later regimen (with Combivir, no less) is one of the top recommended regimens in this years updated treatment guidelines and would have a total of 4 pills twice a day. If pill aversion is really an issue, then newer PIs, like atazanavir or 908 (fos-amprenavir; not yet FDA approved) can offer even lower pill burdens (though somewhat less tested). Lastly, a non-nuke-based regimen can further reduce the pill burden, and has shown very good potency in persons with high viral loads.

Please discuss your feelings and potential options with your doctor. Good luck and let us know how things go. BY

Previous
HIV & COSMETIC SURGERY
Next
estabilized at VL 190000?!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.