WHen should I see my CD4s rise after starting treatment?

Dr. Young,

I recently started a regimen (once a day) of sustiva/emtriva and viread. My labs before starting were cd4 289 viral load 1,100

It now a month later and I received my one month mark labs:

My viral load is undetectable but my cd4s still are dropping..now to 230.

Is this too early for me to see an increase in the t-cells?

Thanks for your question.

Usually, the rise in CD4s lag behing the improvement in viral load. In general, there isn't always a lot to get excited about CD4 numbers at the first month, but by the third, we usually see increases. In many large studies, the average increase in CD4 cells is in the neighborhood of 150-200 cells in the first year.

Also take a look at your CD4%-- I'll bet that the number is the same or increased from when you started.

The best news, though is that your viral load is now undetectable-- I'll bet that the percentage is increasing. Keep up with the adherence, and let us know how you do over time-- I'm sure that our readers will be interested. BY

How unusual is it for a treatment naive HIVer to have an undetectable VL a year and two years after infection?
Wohl, I gotta proposition for ya