acne and prednisone and hiv

I recently sero converted..my t cells and viral load were very borderline with regards to starting meds. My doctor felt we could wait another 3 months and test again and see where i stood. Two questions: 1) I have developed terrible acne on my back that does not go away could this be related to my HIV? 2) i went to the dermatologist..he lanced the leasions and injected them with a cortocosteroid. He prescribed a low does of prednisone 10mg a dat tapering down to zero over four weeks and four weeks of minocycline 150mg a day...It seems from this site that predinsone would be a positive and not a negative for my HIV is that true as i thought it would be bad for the immune system .

Your acne could be related to your altered immune system secondary to recent HIV infection. An antibiotic makes sense if it is widespread. Prednisione seems a bit unusual for the treatment of acne and as you point out further suppresses the immune system and in HIV+ folk is associated with decreased bone density, even with limited exposures. DW

kaletra combo follow up
Just starting meds...