Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv medication kill body??need reply
Sep 28, 2003

Dear Doctor, I am female,24 years old,a Chinese woman.In Aug.last year I had an unprotected sex and after that experienced all hiv symptoms untill now,negative ELISA and negative WB for 1 year untill now, but regarding my lasting hiv symptoms,then doc asked me to get a viral load test,to my surprise,the doc told me the copies is several thousands and inform me to get cure....it scare me! another,in China if a person is infected HIV then he only can get HIV cure from CDC,and the medication the CDC offer are very bad(very old hiv medication so have more side effects),the worse thing is the CDC docs even told me some people had died for HIV medication side effects----it make me lose all living hope and neally want to suicide because I know in China there is no good HIV expert and no good HIV medication,so I can't see any hope in my case.... Doc,pls tell me if the old hiv medication have more side effect and will kill my body fastly?In China because the government doesn't emphasize HIV prevetion and AIDS cure,many people here die for AIDS due to lacking of in time cure and good medication,moreover,Chinese government doesn't import good hiv medication from other countries....all bad factors are here,my life has been very hard with HIV,could you give me some info if I can get some correct HIV cure from some world group such as WHO or other medicial group? hope to get useful guide from you......thanks.

Response from Dr. Young

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

A positive viral load is highly suggestive (with a negative antibody test) is diagnostic of acute HIV infection. I usually like to confirm this test, given the significance of the diagnosis.

I wonder if there might be a language issue-- there is no cure for HIV-- there are definitely treatments that many of us here in the US think are of significant benefit for those who start during acute infection (before the antibody test is fully positive).

"Medications from the CDC" I'll assume refer to Western medications for HIV-- antiretroviral drugs. These medications are not very bad-- indeed, if you spend just a little time reading testimonials from patients on these "very bad" medications on this forum, you'll find that they can be very well tolerated, simple to take (as simple as three pills a day, taken once or twice daily). Your doctors assertions to me (a 5th generation Chinese-American, by the way), confirm to me that there might not be very experienced HIV doctors in your region of China.

I do know that there are increasing efforts to bring education, training and medications for HIV to China, though I can't speak to specifics. One place to try might be the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care (www.iapac.org).

Good luck, BY

Previous
ELISA turned positive - could I be a late seroconverter?
Next
UTI/Kidney infection??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.