Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Efficacy of com bination of Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine
Sep 26, 2003

Dear Sir, How do you evaluate the following combination generic drug available in India for initiating treatment of HIV patient in terms of efficacy ?

Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine

Is there any better combination available to initiate treatment?

Was there any past studies regarding this combination before in other countries (i.e. Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine)? Where I can read these studies in internet ,if any?

Best regards.

Shumon,India

Response from Dr. Pierone

I think that this combination will have high efficacy. Before we were able to get tenofovir (Viread), this was the most commonly prescribed combination in our group and we still have many patients on this regimen. We tend to use Viread instead of stavudine (Zerit) now because of lower risk of side effects.

The largest study with this combination is the 2NN study that compared efavirenz (Sustiva) to nevirapine (Viramnue). All patients also received stavudine (Zerit) and lamivudine (Epivir).

If you click on this link it will bring you to the abstract of this study.

You can also look at thebody.com coverage of this study at this 2NN link.

Good luck!

Previous
Indian anxiety
Next
Could I pin it to that time?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.