Efficacy of com bination of Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine

Dear Sir, How do you evaluate the following combination generic drug available in India for initiating treatment of HIV patient in terms of efficacy ?

Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine

Is there any better combination available to initiate treatment?

Was there any past studies regarding this combination before in other countries (i.e. Nevirapine + Stavudine + Lamivudine)? Where I can read these studies in internet ,if any?

Best regards.

Shumon,India

I think that this combination will have high efficacy. Before we were able to get tenofovir (Viread), this was the most commonly prescribed combination in our group and we still have many patients on this regimen. We tend to use Viread instead of stavudine (Zerit) now because of lower risk of side effects.

The largest study with this combination is the 2NN study that compared efavirenz (Sustiva) to nevirapine (Viramnue). All patients also received stavudine (Zerit) and lamivudine (Epivir).

If you click on this link it will bring you to the abstract of this study.

You can also look at thebody.com coverage of this study at this 2NN link.

Good luck!

Indian anxiety
Could I pin it to that time?