starting today

Hi Dr. Young:

I have written to you many times the past six months since I tested pos. I am finally starting treatment today--Kaletra, Viread and Emtriva. The doctor told me viread or emtriva was like 3tc and so it has been well tested. I hope they are right. I am so afraid now to miss a dose. And I am afraid that if i get resistance, I will go quick. I am apparently a rapid progressor--I had tcells of 257 and vl 185K with neg test march 2002! I really hope and pray these meds work! It's strange but after years of depression while testing neg each year, I really want to live now! My life was just coming together when I got the HIV results (after neg test for 15 years!). I only had anal sex w/o a condom one time with someone I trusted. Other times was oral w/o a condom. It still baffles me that I got exposed. Anyway, I am pretty upset and really hope there will be meds that work for me for 20 more years at least! Thanks for all your help. Kevin

PS-I am a bit nauseous and about to take second set of 3 kaletra pills. It is not too bad. Maybe it is because I went to japenese buffet. Not hat I am blaming the Japanese--it was so good that I just ate too much. And I stayed away from raw fish--I think I have to now, right?

Dear Kevin- thanks for your follow up post.

Good to hear that you've started-- your doctor is correct about the idea that emtricitabine (Emtriva) is very similar to 3TC; my previous comments simply reflect the fact that it is a newer drug.

I do suspect that the regimen that you're taking is going to be very potent, and provided that you don't have significant side effects (you shouldn't) and can be adherent, should last a long time. I'm actually happy that you're afraid to miss a dose-- this is far better than not being concerned about adherence.

As for your symptoms, they usually diminish with time; taking Kaletra with food really helps with the nausea; it could be that combined with too much food (sushi, in particular, might be avoided, initially, while your counts are low).

Good luck, and as you have been doing, keep us informed of your progress. BY

CLOSE TO SUICIDAL
thanks Dr Young