CLOSE TO SUICIDAL

Hi recently serconverted and infected with type AE from Asia, Doc do you think the meds will work or will I die faster than everyone else regardless of adherence? What about resistance is that an issue for me? I guess you answer it a million times but I need to know can I live a near normal life or will I get sick and progress to AIDS irregardless of adherence to meds?

Close to suicidal

Sorry to hear of your situation.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't any reason to think that just because you have clade AE infection that you're more likely to progress to AIDS more quickly than the "typical" clade B infection that we see more commonly in the US and Europe.

I can't address the resistance issues, without knowing if you have drug resistance at baseline (current guidelines recommend getting tested). If you are adherent to a sufficiently potent regimen, resistance should not be a major issue.

Lastly, I'll say it a million and one times-- if you have access to experienced medical care, medications and can be adherent to a medical regimen when you are started on medications, yes, you can live a normal or near-normal life expectancy.

Seriously, though, if you have persistent feelings of saddness or feelings of suicide, please contact your health care professional.

Good luck and long health. BY

Viral load avoiding the tests!
starting today