early HIV & optic neuropathy

Dear Dr. Young,

I am 28 years old male . I had partial loss of vision in the left eye. My ophthalmologist could not find any problem in the eye after many tests and examinations.Then I went to a neurologist who could not find anything in the cranial and optic MRI images.Then she suggested to try a steroid treatment ( 1g. of steroid/day for 5 days.). My neurologist also suggested some blood tests including HIV . Then it come out that I am HIV positive.

My CD4 counts are above 700. I am still waiting for viral load counts.

I want to know if loss of vision due to optic neuropathy rather than retinal problems can suggests early HIV infection .

Moreover, whats is the difference in treatment of early and late HIV infection.

Thank you in advance. Mesru

Mesru:

I'm not much of a neurologist (just ask my neurology colleagues); but I'm not aware of optic neuritis as a symptom of early HIV infection, but there are clearly neuronal injuries that can happen during the course of HIV infection or it's complications.

Knowing your CD4 cell count, viral load, and (yes) syphillis serolgy might be helpful in sorting some of these issues out. Syphillis is known to cause central nervous system injury and should be ruled out before evaluating other causes.

As for treatments, there really aren't diffences in early- vs late-HIV treatments. All involve finding the most potent, well tolerated combinations possible (three or four drug regimens).

Good luck. BY

PET Scans and Merck Aventis Vaccine
resistance as a treatment option