Follow up on best meds

Dr Young:

My doctor told me today he would use Kaletra at the outset but drop it after my vl gets under control. Others will be viread and emtriva. My vl at last test was 175K (down from 475K) but tcells dropped from 350 to 257! I am now scared and starting meds tommorow. Re other factors. I work out regularly, am pretty thin, cholsterol ok at last check and I quit smoking in 87 and all drinking/druds in 85. Thanksd for all your help. Kevin

This should be very potent- though only formally evaluated in one ongoing study. Kaletra should be a very potent start, and it's only issue is tolerability (compared with non-nukes)-- all else equal, the potency and resistance-avoidance make this a very sound way to start. If you should turn out to have side effects, hang in there, 'cus most go away pretty quickly, and if they don't there are certainly other options.

No need to be scared-- perhaps apprehensive; but the meds are so much better tolerated than in the past; take the meds with some food in your stomach- this smooths out things considerably.

Good luck- and keep us posted. I'm sure that plenty of readers would be very interested to know how your first days or weeks go. BY

Dr. Pierone, why did you leave out "E" as one of the M Group subtype infections?
effectiveness of meds??? concerned