Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cancerous lumps
Sep 6, 2003

I have felt my lymph nodes in the far back of my mouth behind my toungue and there are large many bumps in the area, behind te tounge and not visible in the mouth. Is this a cancer? and can it spread? I sometimes feel whole body weakness. I have scheduled a full body scan, and i am taking rest and good diet. thank you

Mike

Response from Dr. Pierone

Yikes, how can you feel anything back that far without gagging? Never mind. The large bumps on the back of the tongue are taste buds and are normal structures. There is lymphoid tissue in the back of the throat (tonsils and adenoids) that you may be feeling as well. Many persons with untreated HIV infection have lymph node enlargement and this can include the tonsils. Very unlikely for this to be cancer, but an ENT (ears, nose, throat) doctor would be an appropriate starting place. Good luck.

Previous
liver cysts due to meds?
Next
new info on potential drug

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.