a high vl, yet high tcell

Dear Dr. Wohl,

I am a 37 yr old wm. Just recently started back on meds after a 7 mos. holiday. My dr. wanted me to resume because of vl of over 200,000, but tcells still in the 600-700 range. My Dr. told me even though a high VL, the strain of virus isn't killing off the tcells rapidly. What is your take on this? Could I have stayed off longer? thanks in Denver

Whether it is appropriate to restart on meds now depends on a few things such as why you took the drug holiday in the first place, how low your CD4 cell count has ever gone and how well the regimen was working when you stopped.

Usually, if a patient and I embark on a drug holiday, we decide beforehand when we will start back again (i.e. when the CD4 cell count reaches 500 or 350 etc). I agree with you that restarting now whenyour counts are over 600 seems a bit fainthearted but there may be a reason that your doc has to make clearer to you. DW

timing meds.
Cardio risk