Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

recently infected and worrying VL and CD4 counts

Dear Doc,

Thank you very much in advance for your invaluable help. I was infected in may (tested negative then) and tested poz in july. At the end of july my figures were: VL 190.000 and CD4 340. Are these figures normal so early in the infection? If not, can it mean that i will be a rapid progressor or that I have some other infection? During the whole of august I had throat mucus and cough and i have had pimples on my eyelids for a few months. Do these symptoms mean something? Thank you very much.

Thanks for your question.

If you really were infected in the past couple of months, it's not too unusual to have very high viral loads-- this is what happens before the immune system kicks in (so to speak) and the viral load reaches the "set point". As such, I'd be expecting your viral load to come down at the next determination.

Now, I wouldn't be taking some web-docs word on how your particular situation will evolve, but rather make sure that you continue to have periodic monitoring. Just because most persons will have lower viral loads at their setpoint, doesn't prove that you will (but repeated testing will prove or negate this point).

You're also correct in the comment that if your setpoint really is 200,000, then your more likely (but not proven) to be a more rapid progressor. This is relevant particularly if you never go onto HIV therapy-- but even rapid progressors respond well to HAART; so the real issue is how long it might take before you need to start on therapy.

Good luck. BY

Thank you Dr. Young
Diagnosed today with Antigen p24 - please help