Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Need help, about to Lose It

Dr. Young, I hate to bother you so much, but I feel like I understand your responses to the questions left here. Ok, on 8/14 I had my blood work done. On 8/21 the tests came back, my CD4's came back as 1237 and my VL came back as 56,766. On 8/28 I had them run the tests again as I wanted to be sure that the VL was consistent. Today, 9/5, I called in and they said the VL went down to 27,000 and the CD4's are 350...WHAT? I'm really scared now. How is that possible? I feel fine. I'm really starting to freak out a bit. They said they'll take more tests. This practice is supposedly one of the best in my state, NJ. How is this possible that my t-cells could jump so low in two weeks? that's a 900 count drop! Please help.

Not to panick--

Firstly, the roughly 2-fold variation in your viral laod is perfectly within possible expectations.

As for your CD4s that is a pretty big change, but take a gander at the CD4 percentage-- I'd wager that if you've been feeling fine and have no other new symptoms, that the percentages will be very similar to one another. It's more likely, in my view that there has been a lot of fluctuation in the total WBC (or lymphocytes) traffic, resulting in more of all cells present on the first measurement and fewer on the second.

A repeat set of labs in a month or two will probably cast a deciding vote, either way. Let us know how things turn out. Good luck. BY

In response to the "be softer" post
Trizivir alone -- and worried?