In response to the "be softer" post

In response to the person's post "be softer", I must leap to your defense, Dr. Young - no one is kinder, softer or more prone to inducing hope in thousands of people than you are.

It is essential, however, that your high credibility remains intact - that we know we will get a straight answer from you to our questions, rather than that you will raise false hopes just to be kinder. So, like thousands of others who visit your forum, I think you are doing it just right - giving invaluable and accurate information about treatments in a really warm and supportive way. That counts for far more than giving false hope for remedies that are untested and unproven. To do so would make the person asking the question feel good for an hour or so...the false promise or hope for a miracle cure or homeopathic remedy that "works", but ultimately harm their health, erode your credibility and betray their expectations.

So, thanks for doing what you do so incredibly well and with such care and dedication. The body.com would lose someone very important if you were to stop being a consultant.

It is also ironic that, on the one hand, some (myself included) should have suggested that you might be too soft and kind in describing side effects of HAART drugs. Yet that this other writer should suggest that you are not being soft enough!

Thanks for your kind and balanced comments.

It is indeed a balancing act between being too optimistic and too pesimistic. Everone's reality is valid and is their own, mine happens to be tempered by the experience of having buried too many of the patients that I had cared for, and the current reality (mine) of knowing that medications, when properly administered can save lives.

Thanks again, BY

Still not undetectable after 4 months, should I change?
Need help, about to Lose It