Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

diagnosed
Sep 3, 2003

I was diagnosed with aids..pcp..what is my prognosis if I take my pills everyday?

Response from Dr. Pierone

Your prognosis is good. PCP or pneumocystis carinii pneumonia typically occurs in people with less than 200 CD4 cells and is an AIDS defining opportunistic infection.

I have patients that had PCP in 1997, got started on highly active antiretroviral therapy (triple drug HIV cocktail), and are now well with CD4 cells that have come back to the normal range (over 500) and have an undetectable viral load. What attributes do these survivors have? They take their medications every day. They also get regular medical care and take reasonable care of themselves (they are not all Saints). Very few of them are on the same regimen now that they were on in 1997. As better medications became available they switched in order to limit side effects and make the regimen easier to take (indinavir (Crixivan) to nevirapine (Viramune) or efavirenz (Sustiva, etc).

I had patients that had PCP in 1997 and are now dead. Most died because they did not take their medications every day. They had many different "coulda, shoulda, woulda" reasons, but what they shared in common was an inability to take their medications. That's all I have to say about that.

Previous
re:Ok
Next
Alternative Medicine options - reply to Dr. Pierone's question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.