Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ELISA's/follow up question
Sep 3, 2003

Many thanks for answering my question on ELISA's and the strains of HIV they detect.

You mention using a Roche 1.5 test for suspected non B infection (which is my case). I had the Roche 1.5 test and a negative result. But I understand that the Roche 1.5 test only claims to detect subtypes A through G of HIV-1 M group. I was exposed where there are additional subtypes in the M Group (H, I and J). How do I get tested for these? I had a serious exposure, have a lot of bad symptoms and rapidly falling CD4 count and percent - is there an ELISA test or broader nucleic acid test (than the Roche 1.5 or bDNA) that would pick up all the M Group subtypes? I have been tested for O Group antibodies and that was negative, so it is the non B M Group subtypes that are my problem.

Many thanks.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Hello, I will need to do some research to answer your question. This question is better suited for the "understanding your labs" forum and I will follow up on it there. I have a few questions for you that help though. Where were you when you had the exposure and how long ago? What were your symptoms and CD4 counts and ratios? Thanks, GP

Previous
Ok
Next
Reliability of Elisa Clarification Question?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.