Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ok
Sep 3, 2003

Hi Dr. Thanks for your last reply. how can the virus hide from treatment (laten) if it is enveloped in a protein different from other cells? I am not a scientist but others who are at my college said there is not much virus left at undectable, most left being in tissues, so it is possible to stop it forever through therapeutic vaccinations or identification of tissue with resorvoirs. I believe it was the geneticist Craig Venter who said a vaccine (therpeutic for HIV-1) is likely by 2006. I know Progene and Merck are into Phase I and another is in Thailand, this may be the dubious AIDSVAX however.

Response from Dr. Young

The virus has a protein coat when it is circulating in the blood. Once inside the cell, this coat is discarded (at least until the virus tries to reproduce).

Yes, the majority of the virus is in tissue, not in circulating in blood-- however, the link between this observation and the likelihood of a functional therapeutic vaccine is obscure to me.

It's very important to recognize that a phase I clinical trial is designed simply to see if a compound causes immediate short-term toxicity. It's a long way from this statement to say that a drug has long-term therapeutic efficacy and safety. As many as 2 of 3 compounds that enter phase I trials never make it through to FDA approval. With due respects to Professor Venter, I'm less optimistic that we will see an FDA approved therapeutic vaccine by 2006. I hope that I'm wrong, but I do think of myself as realistic. BY

Previous
Partner and I may use different meds
Next
ELISA's/follow up question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.