Transmission & Symptoms & Glands - Please help
Sep 2, 2003
I have searched high and low and haven't really found similar questions. About 6 years ago, I had sex w/ and hiv postive man. At the time, I didn't know he was hiv postive. We used a condom. At least I think we did. He put the condom on, but now I'm afraid he made have tried to take it off. I've been so terrified since. I haven't really had any symptoms and I even took a test 2 weeks after the intercoure which was negative, but I haven't been tested since than. Earlier this year, I had a swollen gland in the groin area (only one), but I also had major laser surger on my leg that resulted in severe burns. I also get canker sores occassionally and have a diarreah twice this year (both times were only for 3 days). I am totally obsessed now. Anytime I get sick, I automatically think its the virus. I now look at everyone tongue, and even 3 different doctors told me my tongue was ok.. although I have a slight white coating. My question to you is:
1. Does a swollen gland in the groin area for a few days to a week also mean HIV infection, or could it have been due to the severe burn and trama to my leg?
2. Is having diarreah twice a year normal, or should I be concerned?
3. Could an increase amount of canker sores mean anything (I have 3 major bouts in the last year)
4. In case he did take the condom off without me knowing, what is the chances of me contracting the virus. Is it 100 or not. Does it matter if I was on top?
Response from Dr. Wohl
The symptoms you describe are definitely not specific to HIV infection so you can not really gauge whether you are infected or not by them.
Although it seems you are apprehensive about getting an HIV test now, I urge you to do so for your peace of mind. Not knowing is driving you crazy and knowing will be a relief regardless of the outcome. Also, recognize that the chances that you are infected, from what you write, seems low. DW
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- I Had Sex With Someone Who Had Hep C Does That Mean I Have It
- Can A Dentist Refuse To Treat Someone With Hiv?
- Can A Woman Transmit Hiv To A Man Through Fellatio?
- Do You Have Hiv If Your Skin Starts To Peel?
- What Is The Earliest You Can Get Tested For Hiv?
- How Long Does It Take For Hiv To Transmit?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.