Good News for Those Fearing Treatment

This is less a question and more of a testimonial to the hundreds (thousands?) of thebody.com viewers contemplating starting HAART and scared crapless about the side effects.

I started on Combivir/Sustiva on Friday night, 29 August, with a three-day weekend. I was armed with a strong anti-anxiety prescription (Serax), Benadryl, anti-nausea meds, a six-pack of gingerale, and a lot of emotional support.

I was really uptight on Friday night when I popped the first Combivir 1/2 way through dinner. Now, 80+ hours later, I am happy to report that aside from a very mild sense of queasiness, I feel just fine. I was a little dizzy one night, but I simply went to sleep and woke up feeling fine.

Everybody is different, and I know many have a tough entry into treatment. But as a gay male Jewish hypochondriac, I've done really well. Please take comfort in this--if I can get through four days feeling pretty good, mys ense is that a lot of you can as well.

My unsolicited advice:

a) get an anti-anxiety 'scrip b) take it for the first 2 nights at least c) have loving supportive people around you and/or on call d) start treatment over a weekend and plan a 3rd day off...knowing you don't have to go to work is a big stress relief.

Good luck to everybody, and thank goodness for thebody.com, the great doctors who answer our questions, and living in a time when we have access to these lifesaving meds.

Thanks for your words of support and words of inspiration to the many readers at TheBody.

Good health to you-- BY

True?
re: sustiva fear