When do side effects first appear?

My son has been on meds for 1 month now. He has tolerated them extrememly well. However, in the past few days he is telling me that his appetite is less and that he has a sinus infection (dr. prescribed antibioitics) ~ can the side effects of these drugs take time to develop or should he have had side effects from the beginning? Could this just be from his cold/sinus infection.

Side effects of medications are divided into short-term (or immediate) and long-term ones. Most of the short-term side effects are usually evident within the first days of treatment-- these include things like nausea, headache, diarrhea.

The fact that your son had few or none of these in his first month of treatment and the fact that he now has a new infection (sinusitis) with antibiotic treatment suggests strongly to me that his current loss of appetite is due to the sinusitis rather than an HIV medication-related issue. BY

life expentency
Starting treatment is 3tc/efavirenz/tonofovir a good bet?