The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Time to add a new drug?

Aug 27, 2003

Doctor Drug history 1995-2000 Crixivan/combivir Viral load <50 (changed because it was hard to take,I added norvir but my lipids and sugars went crazy)

2000-2001 Viramue/combivir (after 9 months the virus broke through

2000-2003 Viramune/combivir/viread -virus undectable for about 1.5 years, then it begun to fluxuate from 200-1200, as of today is 270

After numerous trials to get a resistance results, the virus is always too low.

The doctor mentioned to add another medication. I dont want to go on Kaletra because of my diabetes and lipids, or something similar to that.

I can not take the medication that is the trizivir, not azt or epivir, dont remember the name, I was alergic to it.

I dont want to take d4t because of lipo issues.

What is next for me, I need to push the virus back to less than 50!!!

I am thinking of the new PI Rayatal with 100mgs norvir and then drop sothing else, but what, I dont know what works and not working.

Doctor give me your best shot thanks a lot John

Response from Dr. Young

Your idea of atazanavir (Reyataz) with norvir is not unsound-- it is a boosted protease inhibitor combination, likely more potent that the unboosted version, and most importantly for you, has promises fewer of the insulin/glucose and cholesterol issues of previous versions of boosted proteases. BY

Should I start treatment now ?
Is Viral Load a reliable barometer for starting antiretrovirals?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint