Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

To the person who wrote about severe seroconversion illness:
Aug 22, 2003

Dr. Pierone, I read the question from a reader who is having a rough time seroconverting and I wanted to reach out - because I too had a terrible time last year, with virtually identical symptoms - fevers, chills, diarrhea, rashes, unbelievable nausea, soaking night sweats and an identical loss of weight - 25 pounds - in a short time. My pulse rate also speeded up to the point where it was usually over 100 beats a minute as my body tried to fight terrible infection. At the time, they couldn't figure out what was wrong - negative serology tests and RNA PCR tests. For awhile, I thought I might not make it, I was so ill. The worst period lasted a few months and - despite love of friends and family - it was a very isolating experience.

What I wanted to convey to the writer of that question, as someone who went through the same experience (from excellent health to a nightmare of ill health), is that he is not alone and that there are MUCH better days ahead. It may not feel that way to him right now, but there will even be many days ahead when he will feel like his former self.

I also hope that he appreciates the fact that - unlike the vast majority - he was diagnosed quickly and has been able to take meds at a time when he can preserve much of his immune system.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Pierone

Thank you for your perspective on this topic. The missed diagnosis of acute HIV infection is unfortunately still a common experience because of lack of awareness among primary care physicians. Early treatment may preserve immune function and favorably change the natural history of this infection. Thanks again!

Previous
No Meds
Next
Life expectency

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.