Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

coming to the states
Aug 20, 2003

hi

I AM HIV POSATIVE AND I AM COMING TO THE UNITED STATES SOON. I COULD NOT OBTAIN A VIRAL LOAD OR T CELL COUNT BUT I HAD A COMPLETE BLOOD COUNT. EVERY THING WAS NORMAL AND THE WHITE CELL COUNT ITSELF WAS 6.2. DO YOU THINK ILL BE OK FOR ANOTHER 2 YEARS UNTIL I CAN MAKE IT THERE FOR TREATMENT?

Response from Dr. Boyle

That is a tough question to answer given the limited amount of information provided. Some studies indicate that using the absolute lymphocyte count is one way of guestimating the CD4 count. Although it is not terribly reliable, if your lymphocyte count is greater than 1600 cells/mm3 than your CD4 count is likely to be greater than 200 cells/mm3. Of course, if your CD4 count is likely to be less than 200, then you should start prophylaxis against PCP. Good luck.

Previous
Changing meds
Next
ENROLL IN A CLINICAL TRIAL LIKE ME IF INFECTED PLEASE POST!!!!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.