Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is Tat toxoid????
Aug 20, 2003

I've seen many articles about Tat toxoid? I seen an article that state its entering Phase three trials in Italy. I did more research and find that very little trials are being done in the US utilizing this drug as a possible treatment for people already infected with HIV. I found one article stating that the University of Maryland was doing a study, but no results and nothing indicating the trial is still going on. DO you have any insight into this possible vaccine/treatment drug or injection. I looked on the Vaccines currently being studied in the US and its not their? Thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

Tat toxoid is being studied as a candidate for therapeutic vaccine for HIV infection. The Tat protein is important for HIV replication and when chemically inactivated can be used as a vaccine. It does stimulate an immune response and has shown promise in primate models. Many new experimental HIV treatments and strategies are studied first in Europe and other countries before coming to the U.S. Are European investigators more creative and bolder? Is the U.S. research establishment more cautious (ossified perhaps)? There are many reasons for early uptake of new treatments overseas, but if things continue to look promising eventually the U.S. catches on and the studies are done here as well.

Previous
money
Next
kaletra and combivir

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.