Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

size annoyning
Aug 19, 2003

tested Pos in Nov 2001. number have been good since that time. On no meds att. as of now the numbers are cd4-690; load-10,200; cd8-993; percent is 25 Lymph nodes in the neck area are 1.78cm in size, really the only tell tale sign. if i start meds does it necessarily mean the lymph nodes would start reducing in size. right now over all good health and Dr. says lymph system is working and the body meeting the challenge thus far, meds are not warranted att. Can any thing to be done about reducing the swollen glands. Give me your thoughts based on the above info.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

In general, starting HAART therapy results in reduced size of lymph nodes. Sometimes this can take some time (months).

I should point out, though that singular enlarged lymph nodes should be followed very closely; some can be related to local infections (like sinusitis), while others can be ominous signs for things like cancers. How to tell them apart? Ask your doctor to evaluate---.

So, should you start? If this single lymph node is the only factor in making the decision, I'd probably sit tight for now, but monitoring things over the next several weeks; if the node enlarges or if there are others, (other than having further evaluation)starting therapy could be considered. BY

Previous
Zerit Crix Sustiva??
Next
money

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.