Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lower Meds Costs anytime soon???
Aug 12, 2003

I was just diagnosed and I'm considering treatment....I checked with my insurance and they only cover 60 of the cost of meds, so is still a lot of money that I will have to pay out of pocket. Is there any news of lower cost of this medications like Sustiva and Trizivir??? Is just crazy the prices of all the treatments... Thanks

Response from Dr. Pierone

I don't believe that we are going to see lower costs for HIV medications in the developed world anytime soon. Most of the profits for the companies come from the U.S. market and this is the financial engine that drives the global drug development process. There are some differences in cost of regimens, but not so much that it is a major factor in the drug selection decision of the average HIV treating physician. I have actually never done an analysis of how much the medications cost someone out of pocket (because we really don't have anyone paying for their own meds), but I will do this so stay tuned. In the meanwhile it might be worthwhile to check into your State drug assistance program and see if they have any capacity to help you with your high co-pays. Good luck.

Previous
Anabolic Therapies for HIV poz men
Next
Hey dave is this possible?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.