Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What is Earvin Johnson's Magic Secret treatment against HIV?
Aug 6, 2003

Dr. Wohl,

Hat's off to you sir for all the efforts you put up against this virus? My question to you is what is exactly Earvin Magic Johnson's secret to manage to treat HIV so successfully without noticable side effects when quite a few positive patients on antivirals get so obvious and devastating effects in the public eye due to lipoatrophy, lypodystrophy, buffalo hump, and other problematic side effects from drugs? Does Earvin really have some special magic or is he getting some special treatments the regular folks don't get. What do you think?

Nicky Blond

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Nicky B-

I am not privvy to Magic's medical history but I suspect he is on the same combo that many of those reading this are. Magic's success is a tribute to his hard work to keep himself healthy but is hardly unique. I have dozens of Magic Johnsons in my clinic - men and women who have taken excellent care of themselves, take their medications as directed and avoid poisons such as excessive alcohol and any crack cocaine. They see their doctor regularly and read about this disease and its treatments.

Not everyone with HIV and on therapy gets body shape changes, lipid disorders or diabetes. Most don't. There are many factors influencing the development of these complications. In particular, genetics - African Americans seem less likely to develop lipoatrophy but may be more at risk for some of the lipid problems.

Hats off to Magic and all you other Magics out there - it takes hard work but not magic (I could not resist). DW

Previous
wohl-ster
Next
You're Sexy!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.