SWAP OUT ZERIT!

Dear Dr. Wohl,

I am a 37 byr old wm pos for 7 yrs. I have been on med holiday for over 6 mos. VL approaching 200,000, but cd4 hanging in there at 740. I am going to restart in several weeks. Regimine is forovase, norvir, epivir, and zerit. My dr and I decided to try hivid instead of zerit, one the few i have never tried. I know there are more options, but finding something i can tolerate has been tough!! resistant the sustiva class of meds. viread and ziagen cant take!! Does this sound reasonable?

Thank-You in Denver.

I am not a big fan of Hivid (ddC). This is an old drug but one that is hardly used and which few people now a days have even heard of. The reason this drug has fallen from grace is that it is not very potent, has higher rates of toxicity compared to most other HIV therapies and is inconvenient (3 times per day).

Other drugs you did not mention are abacavir and AZT. You may be intolerant and/or resistant to these but if not they can also replace d4T, which seems to be your aim. Why you stopped therapy and want to swap out d4T remains unexplained.

Another alternative to starting is waiting. Your CD4 cell count runneth over and while your viral load is stratospheric it may take months to years before your T-cells drop to the 300-400 range at which most would recommend therapy. By that time newer agents may be available. Just a thought. DW

Abacavir + 3TC
Enroll in a clinical Trial Like Me...Please Post!!!!